This is a difficult and beautiful race in the Bannock and Pocatello mountain ranges surrounding Pocatello Idaho. The full course is 52.3 miles long with 12,600′ of vertical gain and 12,600′ of vertical loss. In 2013 there are three different solo race lengths: 50mile (actually 52.3), 50km (actually 35.4 miles w/ 8,400′ of gain), and 20 miles (actually 19.8 miles w/ 4,800′ of gain). See map below to see the different “legs” of the route. Note that the full 50 mile race runs all three legs, the 50km race runs legs 2 and 3, and the 20 mile race runs leg 3.
1) Leg 1 : 16.9 miles, 4,200′ of gain
2) Leg 2 : 15.6 miles, 3,600′ of gain
3) Leg 3 : 19.8 miles, 4,800′ of gain
The following information should prove useful for orienting yourself to the course and the 3 different legs (leg 1 : leg 2 : leg 3).
And, most useful for review is the following Google Maps file of the entire route. Note that once open in google maps, you can open in Google in Earth by clicking “View in Google Earth”. From GEarth you can really get to “know” the course.
Aid Station & Mileage Table
- 2103-TBD, anticipating the Original Course
- 2012 – the original course
- 2011 followed an alternative “snow course”
- 2010 followed the original course, but was cancelled due to inclement weather here
- 2009 followed the original course - here